Monday, January 07, 2002

One of my coworkers asked me if I got my gift certificate. I replied, "What gift certificate?" She then told me that they got together and gave me a gift certificate and my boss had it. I did have to pointedly ask my boss about it as it was in his care and he cared not to tell me. I did eventually get it. And upon return, I got to hear the story behind it.

Follow the tale of "Stupid". "Stupid" was married with 4 kids, 3 living at home. She was known for her incredible stupidity like taking the dogs to the vet cause they got stuck together. The vet had to tell her the dogs were having sex and it was normal. I guess it's not a problem with a tiny penis but it can happen with dogs.

Basically, in a nutshell he hubby got her pg, he was caught cheating on her by her daughter and she threw him out. I don't know which happened first nor does it matter. She worked briefly after surfing the net to find out her options re child support (I actually found links for her is why I know) and I am guessing other stuff. This is somewhat important.

She became so stressed over the situation that she wasn't able to work. She allegedly had pseudoseizures. So coworkers rallyed to her aid bigtime. The boss made sure that when long term disability, etc came in that, cause she worked overtime, she would get more compensation than she would for her base hours. Staff on two units took up a collection for her and provided her Thanksgiving. And one coworker wanted to adopt her family and provide their Christmas. Legally, that was against the rules but they did take up a collection for her.

Here's where I came in. Unbeknownst to me another coworker (a true friend) complained that if they collected money for her, they should for me. The coworker who wanted to collect for her saw no need to collect for me as I was in a better paid position. My friend informed then I was out of time off and refused to donate unless the money was divided equally. She did ask how much I got as she wanted to see if they kept their promise. I believe they did.

There are a couple more details. When my boss took me to HR so they could tell me my options, they basically told me they had nothing. The emergency help was a one time thing and only applied if one was going to lose one's house or car. They did not offer short term disability. My only chance for assistance was if coworkers would donate PTO (their vacation days). I informed my boss who naturally never said anything to anyone else about that option. And I didn't feel it my place to beg people for PTO (essentially begging for money). If he wanted to help me out that way that was his perogative. Sides, the point became moot when the doc said I could work light duty. Then it became an issue between my employer and me and why should anyone donate when I could work.

I must add my friend is also miffed at that coworker cause she told my friend, who had a baby a few months ago, that she should give her baby clothes and stuff to this other coworker when she no longer needed it. I can understand her feelings as I had ex relatives who expected the same of me. I do feel it a bit nervy to expect that from a coworker.

Now for the biggie. "Stupid" isn't so stupid when it counts. Her husband (don't know if they are divorcing nor do I know the status of her child support) is paying the mortgage. The people at her church are paying her bills. She is on welfare, WIC, and is getting food stamps. When it comes to working the system and getting others to care for her, she is doing a wonderful job.

So, charitable giving can be quite a sticky wicket. Even for me, right now I am working. But I don't know whether and how much of my medical problem is industrial or not. I don't know which insurance or any will cover the costs, it gets rather sticky. I don't have time off to take care of any problems. And because of the way I have been treated at work and fear more of the same whatever I do, I am hesitant to do anything without legal advice especially since AZ is a "right to work" state. They don't need any reason to fire me.

No comments: