Monday, August 26, 2002

I had a fairly uneventful night at work and so decided to read the news. From the possibility of war with Iraq, I turned a more imminent danger: Windows XP's EULA and Windows 2000 SP3's EULA. Initially spotted in a Windows Media Player update, the bit giving Microsoft way too much power has made it's way into the end user licence agreements. No way will I give Microsoft admin privledges to do what it wants to my computer disabling programs it doesn't like and violating my privacy. There are alternatives, one which I read a bit about, WINE, which runs on Linux. Yes, getting it to work is even more tricky than uninstalling Zone Alarm but the idea of an open source Windows, which looks nicer than 98, is appealing precisely cause it isn't controlled by Microsoft. Sides think of what I could learn.Course, if IncrediMail got off it's collective butts and ported it over to OSX, I wouldn't have any reason to run Windows at all.

No comments: