Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Well, I just spent the last two hours watching Steve, first with Quicktime 5 but after he demoed Quicktime 6, I downloaded it and the stream was much faster, had both the iMac and iBook on and the difference was obvious. Jaguar will be really cool, lots of features, my favorite is the multithreaded finder which will be much faster. Now, it is rather slow. And of course spring loaded folders have been added, making the finder much easier. August 24 is the date. Course, isn't the only news, iTunes 3 is giving me much wanted features like smart playlists, really smart playlists, even keeps track of songs you haven't listened to, set up with rules just like email. Not only is it cool but it syncs with the iPod, now with additional features, like listing by album and composer, calendar, addresses, and the game is easier to find, and a new, thinner 20gb iPod is added to the mix. Prices on the 5 and 10gb versions have been dropped too. Cool new accessories, case, remote, cover for firewire port, ok little detail but very nice. And biggest news which my kid will love iPod for Windows, syncs with Musicmatch. There's iCal, an innovative calendar and iSync coming out. You get to sync your Mac with all your other computers at home, at work, your iPod, your Palm, your phone. This my kid will love as her phone died and she had to replace it and manually add all her friends. One button adding in seconds is all she would need to update with iSync. Of course there is .mac, iTools revamped, spiffed up and yes it will cost for the nifty features but considering how easy things are on the Mac compared to the PC, I think it will outdo .net easily. And last but definitely not least, and eagerly anticipated, a 17in flat panel iMac, not just any 17in but a cinema display 17in with a GForce 4 video chip, totally awesome. The price premium $100 over the old price of the 15in superdrive iMac, I say old as that price was dropped $100. So when David Coursey of ZDNet wrote that he wouldn't pay more than $300 for the feature, well he can save $200. I can say I am glad I waited on that new iMac purchase as I can now get one with a cinema display and Jaguar.

No comments: